If the "Soup of the Day" is Chicken Tortilla...you better believe I'm ordering it! Ask anyone who has ever been out to eat with me. Usually my eyes light up the instant I hear it's on the menu! As soon as I'm done doing the "dairy free thing" for Ella, I plan to make this and load it up with cheese! Honestly though, it was still good without it! Sorry for the crummy picture of this deliciousness. I was in a rush to eat before Ella woke up!
2 Boneless skinless chicken breasts - SHREDDED
1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
1 onion - chopped
1 jalapeno - seeded and chopped (optional)
2 cloves of garlic - minced
1 large zucchini - chopped
2 10 oz. cans of Rotel tomatoes with cilantro
2 tbsp of tomato paste
1 can of black beans - drained and rinsed
1 cup of corn
32 oz of chicken broth
The juice of one lime
1 tsp of chili powder
1 tsp of cumin
1/2 tsp of oregano
1/2 tsp of paprika
salt and pepper (to taste)
1 handful of cilantro - chopped
4 Corn tortillas - sliced into 1/4 inch strips
2 avocado's - diced
Cheese, sour cream - optional for topping
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees - spread tortilla strips out on a baking sheet, spray with cooking spray, bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
2. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat - sauté onions, jalapeno, garlic, and zucchini until they begin to soften (about 5 minutes).
3. Add tomatoes, paste, black beans, corn, broth, lime juice, and all the seasoning - bring to a boil then lower to a simmer and add shredded chicken and cilantro.
4. Cook on low partially covered for 30 minutes.
5. Serve by topping with tortilla strips, avocado, shredded cheese and/or sour cream.