There is nothing overly fancy happening here. Sometimes you just need to get back to basics. The ONLY thing I do to "doctor" this recipe up is pour in a little white wine right at the end. This is just a tiny extra touch I like to add. I know...I can never leave any recipe completely untouched! You're welcome! Hello simple and yummy weeknight meal! Why don't I plan you more often?
Package of hot Italian sausage (also good to try chicken sausage!)
1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
1 clove of garlic - minced
3 multicolor bell peppers - sliced
1 large onion - sliced
1/2 tsp. of oregano
Salt & Pepper - to taste
1/3 cup of white wine - I usually use Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio...whatever is around
*Italian bread if you would like to make subs
(I like to cook this all in one big pot!)
1. Brown Sausage over medium high heat, slice in half lengthwise, then finish cooking cut side down. Remove from the pot.
2. Heat the olive oil, add garlic, peppers, onions, oregano, salt and pepper - cook to your liking. I like the peppers to still be a little snappy, but some people like them more on the mushy side (no judgement).
3. Add the white wine, continue cooking until it cooks down (about 3-4 minutes). Continue stirring and scrape the bottom of the pot to get any burnt bits..mmmm!
4. Add sausage back into the pot with the peppers and onions. Stir and let cook for a few minutes longer to bring all the flavors together.
4. Serve on toasted Italian bread or just eat it on it's own....DELICIOUS!